Monday, January 9, 2017

#UltimateClassroom: Finding the Interest

Early December 2016- Finding the Interest

During the fall of 2016, I began in a Teacher Leader Cohort with +EdTechTeam. Little did I know that it would help me renew my interest in many things related to teacher and education that I had begun to find a challenge. The final course in this cohort was really what drove me forward with this project. It was a course on Redesigning the Learning Space. During the midst of the cohort we developed our ideas of 21st Century Learning. I have included some of the most memorable resources we looked at below. 


Some of the links we investigated:
Some others I have found were:

In these short two weeks, we were tasked with having a discussion with our students and redesigning an aspect of our classroom. I went in with an open mind and had honestly been looking to make some changes to my classroom, but I struggled to do so with some of my classroom constraints (cupboards, desktops, windows, chalkboard/Promethean board, and a lack of corners in my classroom). I start with posing the question to my students through the use of a Padlet. Below, you can see some of their responses. 

Made with Padlet

After getting some of their ideas, I posed to the students that since we did not have class time to redesign the room, that anyone interested could meet with me during recess to share their ideas and make a final plan for what we were going to do. I had about half of my class stay to discuss their ideas and several chimed in from their other activities. In the end, students decided that we needed to relocate the classroom library, make more student tables with the desks for more group work, add more options for seating to the classroom library, relocate our small group meeting table (it was in front of the window which faces the playground- we kept our blinds closed most of the day) and free up some of our board space in the front. Below are the before and after results:

My classroom before: 



My classroom after:

IMG_1180.JPG IMG_1181.JPG IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1189.JPGIMG_1188.JPGIMG_1185.JPG

As I went home that night, I started to think more about the amount of excitement students had when talking about redesigning our classroom. That next week, I went in with the thought that I would see what other ideas students might have about an "ultimate classroom" of sorts.